Barramundi with Sweet Carrots and Cider Glaze
Preparation and Cooking Time: 40mins
- 1/2 cup Cider, we recommend ‘Appleanche’ by Paracombe Premium Perry
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 700g carrots, peeled and sliced on the diagonal 1/8 inch thick
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and peeled
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Four 170g Barramundi fillets
- In a nonreactive saucepan, boil the cider and cider vinegar over high heat until reduced to 2 tablespoons, 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter.
- Meanwhile, in a nonstick skillet, heat the olive oil. Spread the carrots in an even layer and add the garlic and rosemary. Cook over moderately high heat, without stirring, for 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to moderate and cook, stirring, until the carrots are just tender and richly caramelized, 5 minutes longer. Discard the garlic and rosemary. Season the carrots with salt and pepper. Stir in the parsley and half of the cider glaze.
- In a nonstick skillet, heat the vegetable oil. Season the fish with salt and pepper and add to the skillet. Cook over moderately high heat until the fillets are lightly browned, 4 minutes. Turn and cook until the fish is just white throughout, 2 minutes longer.
- Transfer the caramelized carrots to plates and set the fish on top. Drizzle with the remaining cider glaze and serve.
Recipe adapted from foodandwine.com