Spiced Apple Cider and Sweet Potato Quinoa Bowl
(Gluten Free and Vegan)
Preparation and Cooking Time: 40mins
FOR THE QUINOA:
- 1 ¼ cups apple cider, we recommend ‘Appleanche’ by Paracombe Premium Perry
- 1 cup white quinoa
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
FOR THE SALAD:
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt
- 2 cups baby kale
- 1 cup fresh apple or pear, diced or thinly sliced
- ¼ red onion, small diced
- ¼ cup dried cranberries
- ½ cup toasted walnuts
- ¼ cup minced fresh flat leaf parsley
FOR THE Apple Cider Dijon Vinaigrette:
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider, we recommend ‘Appleanche’ by Paracombe Premium Perry
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small pot, add the apple cider and the quinoa and kosher salt. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and add the lid. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Toss the sweet potatoes with 3 tablespoons of oil and kosher salt and roast on a bare sheet pan for 17 minutes until golden brown and tender.
- To make the dressing, combine the garlic, Dijon, apple cider, apple cider vinegar and olive oil and puree until smooth. Season to taste with kosher salt.
- When the quinoa is finished, fluff with a fork and let cool slightly. Toss the quinoa with the red onion, dried cranberries and parsley along with a few tablespoons of the dressing. Season to taste with kosher salt.
- On a bed of baby kale pile the quinoa and then arrange the roasted sweet potatoes, apples or pears and walnuts on top and drizzle with the dressing.
Recipe adapted from heatherchristo.com