Vanilla and Pear Panna Cottas with Spiced Ginger Cookies
Preparation and Cooking Time: 4hrs
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 plump vanilla beans, split and seeds scraped
- 3 cinnamon sticks, cracked
- 4 teaspoons powdered unflavored gelatin (from 2 envelopes)
- 3 cups Pear Juice, we recommend ‘100% Pear Juice’ by Paracombe Premium Perry
- Spiced Ginger Cookies, for serving
- In a large saucepan, combine the milk with the cream, 3/4 cup of the sugar, the vanilla beans and seeds and cinnamon sticks and bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat, cover and let stand for 30 minutes. Strain the mixture through a fine sieve and return it to the saucepan.
- In a small bowl, sprinkle 3 teaspoons of the gelatin over 1/4 cup of cold water and let stand until softened, about 2 minutes. Scrape the gelatin into the saucepan and whisk until dissolved. Transfer the mixture to a pitcher and pour about 1/2 cup into each of 12 small glasses. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours.
- In a clean saucepan, boil the pear juice with the remaining 3 tablespoons of sugar until reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle the remaining 1 teaspoon of gelatin over 1 tablespoon of water and let stand until softened, about 2 minutes. Whisk the gelatin into the pear juice mixture until dissolved. Transfer the mixture to a pitcher and let cool completely (but don’t let the gelatin set), about 30 minutes. Gently pour 2 tablespoons of the pear juice into each panna cotta over an inverted spoon and refrigerate until set, at least 2 hours. Serve with the Spiced Ginger Cookies.
Recipe adapted from foodandwine.com