Pear and Cranberry Cocktail
Total Time: 1hr 50mins
- 1 1/2 cups (170 g) cranberries
- 1/2 ripe pear (Bartlett or Anjou), peeled + chopped (1 cup or 160 g)
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) water
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) maple syrup + more to taste (or sweeten with stevia to taste, plus more to taste)
- 750mls of Dry Perry, we recommend ‘Eighty 4’ by Paracombe Premium Perry
- To prepare fruit compote/reduction, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C) and add cranberries, pear, orange zest, water and maple syrup to small baking dish. Toss to combine.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until the fruit is bubbly and most of the cranberries have burst. Transfer mixture to a food processor or small blender and blend/mix on high until a compote consistency is reached. If needed, add more water to thin.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more orange zest for citrusy flavor or maple syrup for sweetness.
- To remove any residual pulp and give the puree a smoother texture, work through a fine mesh strainer/sieve and into a serving container/jar. This is an optional step that makes the cocktail easier to mix.
- Transfer the compote to the refrigerator to chill – about 30 minutes to 1 hour or until cool to the touch.
- To serve, add about 2 Tbsp of the compote into serving glasses (champagne flutes are ideal). Top with a bit of Perry. Then use a spoon or stirrer to blend the two together. This will help the fruit mix with the Perry more seamlessly.
- Top with more Perry until the flutes or glasses are 3/4 full. Enjoy immediately! You will likely have leftover compote, which will keep for 1-2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Cocktail adapted from minimalistbaker.com