Pear-Cardamom Cakes with Perry Icing
Total Time: 1hr
- 2¼ cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cardamom
- 2 eggs
- 1½ caster sugar
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup Pear Sauce
- ½ cup butter
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1½ tsp. lemon zest
- 1½ cup peeled and chopped Beurre Bosc Pears
- 1¼ cup icing sugar
- 3 tbsp. Perry – we recommend ‘The Berg’ by Paracombe Premium Perry
- Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Butter and flour two 12-cup cupcake tins and set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking soda, salt, and cardamom together and set aside.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together, using a mixer set on medium-high speed, until the mixture forms a thick ribbon when the beaters are lifted from the bowl. Reduce speed to low and mix in the vanilla and pear sauce. Add 1/2 cup of the melted butter, sour cream, and zest and beat until combined. Gradually add the flour mixture and mix until smooth.
- Fold in the pears and divide the batter among the prepared molds (about 1/4 cup per mold). Bake until a skewer inserted in the center of the cake tests clean — 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan on a wire rack. Unmold the cakes and cool completely on the rack.
- Stir the remaining melted butter, icing sugar and Perry together in a medium bowl until smooth and drizzle over the cooled cakes and let the icing set before serving.
Recipe adapted from Countryliving.com