Pear & Perry Pancakes with Caramel Pear Syrup
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 310ml Greek Blended Vanilla Yogurt
- 1 cup Perry (we recommend ‘Perfect 5’ by Paracombe Premium Perry)
- 2 eggs, separated
Caramel Pear Syrup
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ – ½ cup Perry
- 1 cup brown sugar
To make the pancakes:
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. In another bowl, combine the yogurt, Perry and egg yolks. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
- In another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Add ¼ of the egg whites into the pancake batter and stir in to lighten up the mixture. Add in the remaining whites and fold in, just until combined.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray or melt a small amount of butter on the frying pan. Pour batter by ¼-cupfuls onto the hot frying pan. Cook until browned, then flip and cook on the second side.
To make the syrup:
- In a small saucepan, melt the butter. Add in the Perry, then stir in the brown sugar. Cook, whisking until it comes to a boil. Boil for one minute, whisking constantly. Serve warm.
*Using less Perry will result in a thicker syrup, but using more cider will result in a smoother syrup.
Recipe adapted from Taste and Tell