Perry Jelly Candy
- 50g powdered fruit pectin
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup perry – we recommend ‘The Berg’ by Paracombe Premium Perry
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- extra sugar for dredging
Warning: this is a two day project.
- Oil a flat sided loaf pan.
- Whisk together pectin, perry and baking soda in small pan. Cook on high heat. At the same time, bring the sugar and corn syrup to a rolling boil, stirring occasionally. When it reaches boiling, add the pectin/perry mixture. Cook for about 1 additional minute stirring constantly.
- Pour into the prepared pan and allow to cool, loosely covered with plastic wrap, overnight.
- The next day invert the pan on to a plate full of sugar. If you have trouble unmolding the candy, use a knife to loosen it from the perimeter of the pan and carefully slide your fingers underneath the candy to gently peel the candy out of the pan.
- Press both sides of the candy into the sugar.
- Use a pizza cutter to cut the candy into 1/4 inch slices, then cut each slice into cubes. Roll each cube in sugar.
Recipe adapted from Coconut and Lime