Soft Perry Caramels
Cooking Time: 1hr 45mins
Preparation Time: 1hr
- 1.9L Perry, we recommend ‘The Triumph’ by Paracombe Premium Perry
- 3 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup sweetened condensed milk
- 4 cups sugar
- ¾ cup light corn syrup
- ¼ cup water
- 1½ tsp. kosher salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- 1 pinch ground allspice
- 1 pinch ground cloves
- Neutral oil, such as canola or grapeseed
- In a large saucepan, simmer the Perry over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 1 cup, about 1 hour. Pour the reduced Perry into a bowl.
- Line a 9 x 13 inch rimmed pan with foil and coat the foil with nonstick cooking spray. In a medium saucepan, combine the heavy cream and condensed milk and bring to a simmer over moderate heat; keep the mixture warm over low heat.
- In another large saucepan, combine the sugar with the reduced Perry, corn syrup, water & salt and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Carefully whisk in the butter until melted. Gradually whisk in the warm cream mixture until incorporated. Cook over moderately low heat, stirring frequently, until a golden caramel forms and the temperature reaches 245 degrees F on a candy thermometer, about 45 minutes. Stir in the cinnamon, allspice & cloves and scrape the caramel into the prepared pan. Let cool completely, then refrigerate the caramel overnight.
- Lightly brush a sheet of parchment paper with oil. Invert the caramel onto the parchment and peel off the foil. Using a sharp knife, cut the caramel into 1-inch-wide strips, then cut the block crosswise into 1/2-inch rectangles. Wrap each caramel in a square of parchment paper or a candy wrapper and twist the ends to seal. Serve or pack the caramels into boxes.
Recipe sourced from delish.com